Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembrance

Today a lot of people are reflecting on where they were and what they were doing 10 years ago.  Some might say they don't want to hear it but I think it is wonderful that, if for only one day, we are all on the same page and are banding together!I am not going to go into exactly where I was or what I was doing but I am sure my story has similarities to all of yours, I sat in shock wondering what this all meant and crying and praying for those people going through those 102 awful minutes.

I actually started reflecting a couple of days ago.  I was one of the 1.4 million people without power on California.  On the radio station they mentioned it being a terrorist attack.  They said some terrorist severed the line between Arizona and California and therefore, we would be without power for a very long time.  At that moment, it went from your average power outage to a full blown "what the heck does this mean?!" moment.  I went from being excited to not have tv, live by candle light and spend good quality time with my girls to being absolutely terrified.  Where should I go, what should I do?  Do I need to drive somewhere safer, but what place would be safer?  I remember thinking, if I am this terrified sitting in the comfort of my home surrounded by my family, I cannot imagine what it was like being inside a burning building, watching the building right next to yours crumble to the ground knowing it was probably going to happen to yours.  You are alone, your family is not there to comfort you and you are scared......terribly scared!!!  I don't know what I would be doing.  I would hope to have enough strength to get on my knees and pray to God, to find a phone and make sure to make one last call to let my loved ones know how much they meant to me and how I would be there with them, watching over them for the rest of their lives.  Or would I take it all into my own hands, not wait for the building to take me, to end it all.  This picture still haunts me 10 years later.


This picture gets me for numerous reasons.  First, this poor man had to be absolutely terrified, no one in their right mind would jump out of a huge building unless they felt it to be a better option.  Not only that, but he looks so peaceful, almost as if he has come to terms with his fate.  Is he praying, thinking of his family, what he did with his life.  No one knows, there is even speculation on who exactly he is.  This picture just haunts me and puts it all into perspective.  When you see the buildings coming down, you see buildings coming down, you know there are people inside but you see a building.  I guess seeing an actual man who was int he building, falling like the towers did soon after gets me.  I hope we can all remember this unity we feel and share far past this date!  We may not always agree, but we are still mothers, father, sisters, brothers, friends, we all have people who think we are special and we are all special.  God did not create us to hate.  And please remember to pray for our country and everyone in it far past today as well.  Prayer is a mighty thing and brings joy to others and joy within oneself.  God Bless you all and God Bless America!!!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails