Saturday, March 17, 2012

Dental Adventures

When I was growing up, my mom never had dental insurance. Well, she did once and I had a filling put in but then we stopped going. I have since been and have plenty of work needing to be done in my mouth, it seems never ending. I am excited that my kids are able to go and not wait like I have had to. However, it is so expensive!!!! My amazing sister-in-law said it best, dental insurance is less like insurance and more like a coupon. This is so very true. My oldest is at the age now that we have started to see an orthodontist. And yes, we are talking braces. She still needs to wait for those so for now they are installing an expander for her overbite. Apparently the bone that sits right below your nose does not fuse together until the age of 12 so they can put in this expander and slowly crank it open over the course of a year. It separates the bone to widen the mouth and the bone will then fuse together later giving less of an overbite. Step 1 is spacers, tiny little blue things stuck between her teeth apparently holding the space where the metal spacers will go in a couple of weeks. As expensive as this us turning out to be, I am pretty excited that my girl has an opportunity to get the gorgeous smile I never got. And as nervous as she is, she is pretty excited too!!!!

1 comment:

Launa said...

She is so darn cute!! Although those "expanders" look painful. Miss you all!

Related Posts with Thumbnails