Monday, January 10, 2011

Weekend Tragedy

So I was a little uncertain on whether or not I wanted to post anything about the tragedy that happened in Arizona over he weekend.  Everything quickly turned political, calling out numerous politicians and government officials and I did not want to get involved.  Not that I don't have views on politics, I feel very strongly in my political views but I am not one to stand on my soap box unless prompted or feel the need to express my views.  However, when I woke up this morning (super early might i add, I am starting a new work out routine and I may or may not have been up at the butt crack of dawn to get my exercise on, that discussion is for another day though) and was able to watch the news (I always watch the first half hour of the Today show while my oldest eats her breakfast), it really sank in, but not in a political way.  6 people were killed and one of them included a 9 year old girl.  They said the gunman opened fire on his target (the congress woman) and then without aiming at anyone in particular, opened fire numerous times and was even getting ready to reload when he was tackled.  I feel sad for all of the families but a 9 year old girl?!  That just hit home.  My Girl Scouts range in age from 6-10, most falling in the middle region, they all have such bright futures and their dreams they want to accomplish one day are out of this world and I cannot wait to hear how they succeeded in their life goals.  So to think that one of them could be taken out of this world in a horrific way saddens me.  I remember looking over at my sweet girl eating her pancakes and thinking, she could be gone in an instant one day.  I think my mind always goes to her possibly dying of a seizure because that is a very real reality for us, but I never think about her dying from the hand of a gunmen who has a chip on his shoulder and more than likely mental issues.  I am sure that family is just reeling, waking up and for 2 seconds thinking of how awful that nightmare was, only to have the wave of grief wash over them and realize that it is not a nightmare but a reality.  I have had that pain hit me, after the loss of my brother mostly.  I was able to keep it at bay for a while but there was a day in which it hit me like a huge wave and I could barely breath.  I guess what I am saying (and I know people say it all the time) but don't take life for granted.  Make sure you tell your family and friends just how much you love and care for them.  Because no matter how much you try to protect your kids or family, it can all be taken away in an instant.  And if you are the praying kind, which I am, lift up a prayer for the families of those lost!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Launa said...

Beautiful post!! Thanks for your reminder! It's so true.

And, I just wish someone had been carrying concealed and had taken him out before he had time to hurt/kill anyone else... that would have been good.
Oh, and that our mental health system worked better so that he could of been on meds instead of doing what he did in the first place.
Okay, there are my rants for the day.
Off my soapbox.

Thanks again!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails