Wednesday, April 6, 2011

What a rollercoaster ride!!!

As mentioned previously, my oldest had an accident and ended up with stitches in her upper lip.  Well, the following day.........ok, maybe I should do a disclaimer, if you are eating or drinking any sort of liquid especially if that substance is milk or anything else milky looking or if you have a weak stomach, please move on and read something that will not make your skin crawl and make you hate my blog for life.  With that said, the following day we noticed puss oozing (one word I do not particularly care for but it is what it was doing) out of her stitches and her lip was extremely swollen.  We took her into her pediatrician and he told us what we knew already, it was infected.  He asked how it could have become so extremely infected (so much so that he squeezed a ton of puss out of her lip and still it proceeded to come out, he even mentioned it exploding and popping stitches if not taken care of), I had no clue, she hadn't been eating and we were cleaning it really good and I thought back tot our trip to the ER and that's when it hit me, they never cleaned her wound.  Not once, she was seen by a doc and a plastic surgeon was called and nothing was ever used to clean the wound.  She was simply stitched up.  How could I have missed that and not said something?!!  Needless to say, our doc told us they should have cleaned it but there was nothing we could do about that now, however she would need to have surgery to fix the problem.  The surgery would go a little something like this, sedate my girl, proceed to open her lip back up and then some, clean it out like it is spring cleaning and stitch her back up.  My heart dropped.  The thing is, I would normally be nervous for sedating my child but in this case, even more so.  between the meds my girl takes and her Epilepsy, being sedated can be very scary.  I have been told by many a doctor how she would stop breathing and they would be breathing for her and then all of the nightmares she would be having coming out of the anesthetic.  Stop breathing?  Breathing for her?  I know this to be routine for them but it is not for me and I was scared beyond measure.  I had that brief nightmare of them telling me that she didn't wake back up and me having to go in and see her poor lifeless body on the table and say goodbye.  Yes, that may be morbid but lets not lie here and say you never think those things.  It is a brief moment of "this can happen" and then you snap yourself out of it and pray and hope that everything turns out int he complete opposite way.  And in this case, it did.  the plastic surgeon cut a small incision in her lip (while she was wide awake) and said it looked a lot better than the previous day and that the anti-biotic she was on seemed to be working and that as long as we drain it and clean it a couple of times a day, she would be alright.  I wanted to shout a good ol "HALLELUJAH" right there in the office but I waited until we were outside int he hallway.  As soon as the door shut to the office my sweet girl let out a huge breath and grabbed me and hugged me so tight.  I did so in return and we rejoiced for no surgery!!  and in the best way to celebrate, we went across the way to the mall and let her pick out something, Lord knows the girl deserves something special for being a rock star through all of this.  I am hoping to have much brighter and shinier posts now, along with pictures and hopefully funny stories.  thank you for all of the prayers and support for me and my girl through all of this!!!

1 comment:

Launa said...

Woohoo! God is good!! Hallelujah!!!! Yeah Cass! I am so excited for you all!

Related Posts with Thumbnails