Saturday, November 20, 2010

Emfit

I have mentioned before that the Danny Did Foundation was very generous and has provided our family with an Emfit monitor.  I also know I have had people ask exactly what an Emfit is.  So, I am going to tell you :)  First just let me explain a little bit.  The Emfit monitor is a device that goes under a persons mattress and will detect seizure activity that will then trigger an alarm.  Why might someone need a monitor while they sleep?  During the day if someone were to have a seizure, there would hopefully be someone around to see them having one and be able to help or call for help.  If it were to happen in their sleep, there is no one around and they can end up dying or suffering from severe complications.  This is not uncommon, it is far more prevalent than you may think.  Unfortunately children like Danny Stanton and Chelsea Hutchison.  And age does not always matter, ask the family and friends of Donna Evans.  The Emfit gives us all a better nights sleep.  I now know that if my daughter were to have a seizure in her sleep, I would be notified and be able to help her.  Now, lets get to the actual monitor.  The main part is the sensor that goes under the mattress. 


Please take note.  This part goes under the mattress, let me say it again for those whose brain is like mine, it goes UNDER the bed.  Ok, so I knew before I even had one that it went under but to be honest I was pretty darn confused after reading the instructions it came with. The monitor went off 5 times the first night and when I called the company to see what was happening, was my child really seizing that much?!  She seemed fine when I went into her room after hearing the alarm, I was confused.  After telling me what i could do, the lady asked me nicely if it was indeed UNDER the mattress.  I thought about lying at first..."are you kidding me?  Of course it is under, I know how to read!!!", but I told the truth and told her that the instructions confused me.  She asked what page confused me and it turns out that the page I read was removed from the instructions long ago because it was confusing people and she didn't know why mine still had that page in it.  So, I didn't feel as lame.  So, the picture above was after we put the sensor on top of her mattress cover and then proceeded to put a mattress pad on top of it and her sheets.  Needless to say, we could have broke the darn thing and I would have felt awful.  So, the sensor goes UNDER the bed which is where ours resides safely now.  Ok, so the sensor has a cord that plugs into a little box.  That little box contains all the settings and computer techy stuff (yes, I did major in computer techy stuff, how could you tell?......and if you are like me, let me point out that I am saying that with total sarcasm, yes, sometimes I need things pointed out).  How do I get off on so many tangents, lets get back to the Emfit........the box that attaches to the sensor is mounted on our wall and besides it containing the techy stuff, it also sounds the alarm when a seizure is detected and the lights that flash on and off let me know it is working properly. 



That blue light?  That was flashing in between the green and blue flashing together.  That meant that it was not detecting anyone on the sensor (which would make sense because no one was on it, I was testing it out).  It really is a brilliant piece of equipment and unfortunately not covered by insurance in the United States.  It is covered by insurance if you live in Canada and Europe, but not he United States.  I will be helping to get this changed one day!!!!!  Until then I was blessed by having the Danny Did Foundation come along side me and help me get one for my sweet girl.  I am hoping you never have to own one of these because that would mean you are suffering from seizures.  But let me tell you, if it ever does happen to you or your family, there is help out there.  There are a ton of people who care and who are making it their life's mission to get the word out on Epilepsy and help others who are affected.  I am honored to now say that I am an Epilepsy Advocate and will do all I can for my child and everyone out there who is living with Epilepsy!!!

1 comment:

Launa said...

Hey, I know this is kinda cheesy but thanks so much for posting this... I was wondering what the EMFIT looked like and now I know!! I'm so glad you have one and now you can (kinda) sleep well!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails