Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Epilepsy Freedom Walk 2010

I cant believe it has taken me this long to write about the amazing time we had at our first ever Epilepsy Walk!  I partly blame it on my computer being down for a while but ti has been back up for a good week so I can rightly now blame it on my lack of brain cells I seem to be having lately.  Seriously people, the other night we went out to dinner and as we were walking out of the restaurant  had that brief second of "oh my gosh, where is the baby", which I then realized was in my arms.  Perhaps I can blame the fact that she wears this squeaky shoes everywhere lately so I am used to hearing it when she is walking beside me so to not hear them made me think she was not with me.  Then again, I really should be blaming the lack of brain cell usage.  Ok, enough scattered talk, lets get to our walk.

Cass and I were accompanied by my Uncle Bill, Aunt Mickie, Aunt Kathy and both of my cousins, both named Jessica.
It was a chilly rainy day in Pasadena, CA but they didn't stop people from coming out.  I think they said ti was close to 1,000 people who were there.  After registering we were able to go to different booths and for Cass to make some crafts.  We got a lot of great information, from finding out about something called SUDEP (sudden unexplained death in Epilepsy) to new meds that are out.  One of the defining moments, as far as Cassidy goes, was when she was going to take her picture with a seizure rescue dog.  She is very intimidated by dogs, I don't think the dog attack and 18 stitches in her face at age 3 helped that fear whatsoever.  But, when she saw the dog, she knelt down and hugged it around the neck and smiled for the camera.  Who is this child?!!!  I wanted to cry!!!!  Soon after that, some people from the Epilepsy Foundation of Greater Los Angeles stood up to speak.  And they introduced the chair for this years walk.  For the second year in a row, Greg Grunberg was the chair of the walk!!!  He is not just an actor, his son has Epilepsy.  He said some inspiring words and then we were off to walk.  It wasn't a long walk but it was inspirational to me.  At one point there was a group of people standing off to the sides cheering everyone on and when they saw our shirts, they yelled "Go Team Cassidy!!!!"  They spotted Cass and asked if she was Cassidy and after telling them yes, they yelled "woo hoo, go Cassidy!!!!"  Her smile was priceless.  The walk may have been small but the strides we made were mighty!!!!!!!!  I hope more can join us next year.  Until then, be inspired and talk about it!!!  Spread the word and lets make a difference!!!

3 comments:

Scott V said...

Prayers to you and your family from Chicago. Thanks for your blog on the Danny Did Foundation. Happy holidays.

The Hall Family said...

Thank you Scott!!!! Anything I can do for the Danny Did Foundation, they have done so much for me and my family!!!!!

Launa said...

Sorry I'm a slacker on the whole support thing... no excuse... promise to do better next time!! Hugs to your sweet girl!! Oh... and the EMFIT goes under the mattress!!! Hehehehehe!

Related Posts with Thumbnails