Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Parenting Right.....or Wrong?

Months ago we enrolled our second little one in preschool.  We were told that we would not be able to go to the school of our choice but that they had another school they would send her too.  A little apprehensive I agreed, our little one was so excited to go to school.  So, for the entire summer we giggled and squealed every time school was brought up.  We counted down the days until we could go meet her teacher and see what friends were going to be in her class.  That day came yesterday.  As soon as we got there, things seemed off.  People seemed very rude and not happy to be there.  Her teacher seemed cold and not very loving.  And I know that laws are in place these days to keep teachers from being too touchy feely but would it kill you to show some compassion or love to my 3 year old who has never been to school a day in her life.  When she came to hug you because she was so excited and had waited all summer to meet you, did you really need to put your hand in her face and shove her back a bit?  And  I in no way feel like I am a racist person, I am happy for my girls to learn other languages or be around others who don't speak English very well.  But my child needs to go to school to learn things she will need to know for next year and the years to come and I don't think Spanish is one of those.  Maybe as she gets older she will need it, but to teach a preschool class in Spanish when my daughter knows not a lick just doesn't seem right.  And I know some people will call me out and place the racist label on me but let me assure you, it has nothing to do with race.  If the teacher spoke nothing but German and the teacher demanded she speak half German to the class the entire day, I would not want her in there.  The whole experience just left us with a bad taste.  I kept reflecting back to Cassidy's preschool in Virginia.  It was a small school through a Baptist church and it was awesome!!!!  The teachers were so welcoming and caring and I really felt that they loved having my child there, not like she was a nuisance.  We finally decided to disenroll her from the school.  We have found an amazing private school, then again it is super expensive and out of our league.  Supposedly NAACRA will pay for or help subsidize payments for military families but I also need to have a full time job, which is not happening so we cannot use that.  Any suggestions for that would be greatly appreciated!  Needless to say, I have felt guilty for the past 24 hours.  Am I being too picky?  Should I just send her and hope she is ok?  I keep second guessing my decision.  I called friends and family asking for their opinions and I got a lot of "go with you gut feelings" and my gut was wrenching and didn't feel comfortable dropping my daughter off in that environment.  So, I slept on it, thinking I would wake up knowing if it was the right decision and I still want to second guess myself.  Can I just say how parenting is so freakin hard some times?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails