Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Sloppy Joe's

Ok, this seems like I am constantly blogging about food.  I guess it is because I am trying all sorts of new recipes lately.  So, here is another one.  The other day around 2, we realized we had no clue what we would be doing for dinner.  Leftovers didn't sound good and it was too late to take anything out of the freezer.  So, I went to my go to website for food these days, none other than the cooking goddess Ree Drummond, otherwise known as the Pioneer Woman.  I have been wanting to make her summer salad but it is not something the girls would probably eat unless it is a little on the side of something so that was out.  I ended up looking in her cowboy food section (she also has a cowgirl food section to).  One of the first things I saw was her sloppy joe's.  When we lived in Illinois and Will had surgery, our church brought us some meals over.  One of the ladies brought sloppy joe's.  To be honest I was not that excited to be eating sloppy joe's.  The only kind I had ever had was Manwich out of the can.  Don't get me wrong, it is cheap and easy and not bad but then I tasted the super yummy sloppy joes this lady had made and knew it was so not out of the can.  I asked her what was in it and all I got was "Oh, it is so easy".  Needless to say I didn't get the recipe and I don't think we have made sloppy joe's, until this last weekend.  Oh my goodness these are super yummy.  They are super easy to make and your house smells divine, kind of like you have actually been cooking, haha.  And I totally recommend her idea of buttering and putting your buns on the griddle.  Our buns were a little buttery and crunchy and so were the ones for our sloppy joe's too :)  Here is what the end result looked like while it was still in the pan (minus some because my kiddos were starving of course and couldn't wait for mommy to be annoying and take a picture of the food).

And then here it is on the bun with our super healthy side of tater tots.  Which by the way, there has to be a way to make homemade tater tots and I want to know how!!!!  Minus deep frying them so they are healthy.....anyone?


Ok, so I totally mushed my bun down.  I have a habit of doing that anytime I have something on a bun.  Maybe to fit it in my mouth, maybe to make it look like I am eating less?  Maybe because I am just weird and sometimes have weird habits.  Either way, please don't mind the smooshed bun, the food is delicious and I want to spend a weekend at The Lodge and watch Ree make me food, or maybe Marlboro Man and then just eat until I cannot move.  Which would be perfect if I could sit on the porch and relax.  Have I mentioned I want to move to Oklahoma on a ranch now and have nothing but land and wild horses and streams surrounding me?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails